The main church of Jilin Church is located on Songhuajiang Road, near the north end of Jilin Bridge and facing Songhuajiang in the south. Construction began in 1917 and was completed in 1926. This is a Gothic building that was originally built in northern France and prevailed in Western Europe from the twelfth to fifteenth centuries, replacing the thick, dark, semicircular arches of the Romanesque church.
The cross There are three minaret-shaped buildings in the front of the Catholic Church. The middle one is the church bell tower. On Sundays or Catholic holidays, the bells are soft and long. The entire church building uses bluestone collected from Ashihada. Stone bases and pillars of different specifications are cut and matched with pattern designs. The church is made of specially made blue brick walls. There are 16 large round stone pillars, 24 painted glass windows, plaster statues, and five altars. The idea is novel and unique , reflecting the color of the fusion of religion and national culture.
Catholicism was introduced to China after the Jesuit missionary Matteo Ricci arrived in China in 1508 (Ming Wanli eight years). In 1682 (Twenty-one Years of Kangxi of the Qing Dynasty), it entered the Northeast for the first time. From the eighteenth century to the early nineteenth century, the spread of Catholicism in China was banned. Except for a few areas such as Macau, there was a period of interruption, and it was restored in the Daoguang years. An independent diocese was set up in the northeast in 1838, and it was chaired by Bishop Fang Ruowang for more than 30 years. After 1905, the Diocese of Jilin was presided over by the Paris Foreign Missionary Association.
Songjiang Middle Road Catholic Church is located on the north bank of Songhua River. It is a simple and elegant blue-grey gothic building, all with masonry structure. Its main body is composed of a church and a bell tower. The plane of the church is in the shape of a cross. The bell tower is composed of three minarets, with a bronze bell hanging in the middle bell tower. The church was planned to be built in 1902. Construction began in 1917 and was completed in 1926. It took ten years to complete. The tip of the bell tower is about 45 meters high, 27 meters wide from east to west, and 33 meters long from north to south. The use area is 500 square meters and the ridge is 22 meters high. Inside the hall are 16 large circular stone pillars, each 28 meters high and 0.5 meters in diameter, with smooth cylindrical surfaces like silver. The church s original stained glass windows, flowers and leaves are inlaid with lead bars, the texture is hard, the pattern is generous, and it will never fad e, especially the 24 glass printed with the image of the Virgin gives a sense of solemnity.